Tuesday 31 January 2012

The Descendants

There are times when, for no discernible reason, the impact of something is greater than the event itself. A hangover, for example, is rarely worth the events which preceded it. Sure, you had fun at the time, but the state of that near-death feeling lasts ten times as long. It is with this in mind that I write this review of Alexander Payne's The Descendants – a film which creeps up on you and which will surprise even the most avid George Clooney fan. You have been warned.

Hawaii. A tropical paradise where everyone owns a surfboard, wears shirts which could send Noel Edmonds into an epileptic fit and walks around barefoot without a care in the world. Or so you would think. The Descendants follows Hawaiian land baron Matt King (George Clooney) as he struggles to come to terms with a jet ski accident which has left his wife in a coma and his relationships with his two girls in turmoil. Add to this the fact that his wife has been having an affair (a totally implausible plot point as no-one would want to leave Mr Clooney in favour of, well, anyone) and you've got yourself a film which is predominately a drama with comedic moments thrown in for good measure. The screenplay achieves much whilst doing relatively little: a scene which, at first, looks fairly superficial suddenly gets to the very centre of an issue or an emotion which it is trying to explore.

The performances are the most important aspect of the film. Many have called this Clooney's finest performance but he is undoubtedly up-staged by the younger members of the cast. This is not to say that his portrayal of a man struggling with conflicting emotions at a time when only one emotion should dominate is average – far from it. Clooney, along with his hair, has matured as an actor into a real screen presence and he is certainly convincing as a main man (actually, when was he ever not?!). In this case, however, the Oscar for best actress goes to Shailene Woodley as Alex, Matt King's teenage daughter. Not instantly likeable, but instantly brilliant, Woodley steals the film and is a joy to watch. The other younger characters, Alex's boyfriend Sid (played by Nick Krause) and sister Scottie (Amara Miller) are multi-faceted and bounce of Clooney whilst delivering much comedic relief. The film is beautifully shot and balances the stunning landscapes of Hawaii against the suburban setting of much of the drama. Coupled with well-written dialogue and a score which leaves no mistake as to the setting of the film, the effect is somewhat strange. As I watched the film, thinking about how many stars I was going to give it, I settled on three. I thought to myself “yeah, this is competently done. But nothing much else”. There was no spark. Nothing that lifted it out of the ordinary. But then, as I walked out of Screen 1, something in me changed. Something hit me and I suddenly loved the film.

The Descendants is something of a non-event when you watch it. Sure, you like the characters, enjoy the jokes and even shed a tear at the characters' situations. But it is after you've seen it that it really hits you. The film washes over you like a a clear blue Hawaiian wave (sorry, had to get a beach simile in there somewhere) and leaves behind an emotional residue which stays with you for long after the credits have rolled. I look back on the film and think, there's something about it which touched a chord with me, even though I didn't know it at the time. The performances, obviously, are the main reason for this but I can't help but think that there's something I missed. Something that I was subconsciously aware of but which didn't emotionally connect with me when I was sitting there, my seat constantly being kicked my some Frenchman sat behind me who thought he was doing me a favour by giving me a back massage.

Payne's film is a charming, saddening and thought-provoking affair which gives a platform for some of the most engaging and emotionally-charged performances I have seen. Whilst there was a slight pacing issue, particularly as the film approached the end, the overall effect is wonderful. Go and see it. And if anyone wants to take me on holiday to Hawaii, you're more than welcome. 

Clapperboard Rating: * * * * 

No comments:

Post a Comment