Monday 16 July 2012

Magic Mike


I'm sure that I'm not alone in thinking that the British public have a tendency to get overexcited about things. The Olympic Torch relay, for example, seems to have whipped thousands of people into a state of excitement which is totally disproportionate to the event itself. Watching a total stranger, flanked by grumpy officials, run with a bit of gold metal that they're going to flog on eBay as soon as they get home is not my idea of something to get excited about. But then again, what do I know? This deranged state of excitement seemed to have wormed its way in to a screening of Magic Mike, a film about male stripping. My fellow audiences members (mostly women, I have to say) were literally shouting and whooping at the screen in a manner which would have been more suitable at a Take That concert. They were, in short, an over-excitable bunch. I, on the other hand, was rather dreading the whole thing.

Let me begin by saying that my decision to see Magic Mike was rather forced. It was the only film showing at my local cinema that I had not seen and, knowing that you, my loyal readers, would be up in arms (or hugely thankful) if I didn't do a review this week, I thought I'd have to go along on my own and embarrass myself by watching a film about guys taking their clothes off. Magic Mike stars Channing Tatum as Mike, a stripper at the Xquisite club which is run by Dallas (Matthew McConaughey). Mike is trying to save enough money to get his handmade furniture business off the ground and befriends nineteen-year-old Adam (played by Alex Pettyfer) who, down on his luck and generally not going anywhere in life, sees stripping as an exciting way to get women, status and cash. But, as with all exploitation films of this type, things aren't as glamorous as they first seem.

This plot is as well-worn as they get and you've definitely seen it all before. The love interest between Mike and Adam's sister, Brooke (Cody Horn) is predictable and safe and certainly doesn't shock in any way. This is, however, no bad thing. A screenplay by Reid Carolin creates characters that are deep, meaningful and multi-faceted. The audience care about their predicaments and their back-story and the film's director, Steven Soderbergh, has done a great job of drawing fantastic performances from Tatum in particular. I was originally unconvinced by Tatum in the early stages of his career and felt that his on-screen presence amounted to little more than eye-candy. Magic Mike, however, has changed my mind and demonstrates the huge emotional range that Tatum is capable of. Soderbergh's lingering close-ups on Mike as he ponders his future backstage at the club really helped the audience to engage and care about his character. McConaughey put in a great and funny performance as the club's owner and Pettyfer was perfectly credible as the uninitiated youngster. Only Cody Horn left me feeling slightly unconvinced but on the whole, her portrayal of concerned sister was fine.

If you're a guy and you see this film, I guarantee you will leave the cinema feeling rather inadequate. The stripping scenes were...erm...nicely done and there was certainly no shortage of rippling male torsos. I shudder to think about the number of gym hours that had to be put in by the cast. The cinematography was effective and distinctive and helped create a world which was attractive on the surface but which had a sinister undercurrent. Had the film been solely stripping sequences with a flimsy surrounding narrative, its female target audience would have been the only people singing its praises. But Magic Mike works because it had substance behind the innumerable of shots of male buttocks. The lives of the strippers off-stage was the film's main focus and, as such, there was something for the guys in the audience as well as the girls. I did feel that the film's darker issues were a little under-developed but they were, nevertheless, still engaging.

As a portrayal of masculinity (or, at least, one facet of it), Magic Mike is an enjoyable escapade and I was, on the whole, pleasantly surprised. The film succeeds because of its engagement with darker issues and focus on the characters themselves, rather than simply being a chick-flick about good looking guys taking their clothes off in all manner of ways. Sure, some people will go and see this film simply to see a naked Channing Tatum. But for guys, there's definitely something more to take away from this film than simply a feeling of physical deficiency. Take my advice, though. See it with someone else, otherwise you will look like a total weirdo like I did. The things I do for this blog...

Clapperboard Rating: * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment