Thursday 9 February 2012

Like Crazy

I have been a very, very bad person. As I was buying my ticket to see Like Crazy at my local multiplex, the woman behind the counter (whose name badge informed me that her name was Kevin and that her favourite film was The Godfather) asked if I was interested in their 'premier seats' which, she said, were 'bigger, more comfortable and offered a better view of the screen'. If I had wanted this privilege, it would have cost me a further £1.10 on top of a ticket price which already could have easily fed a family of four for a month in Outer Mongolia. I declined. However, as I entered the auditorium (which was in complete darkness as the adverts had just finished), I found it impossible to locate the seat which I had been allocated. And so, I did a very bad thing. I sat in a premier seat. Which I hadn't paid for. And you know what, with a headrest which seemed to have been taken from a mortuary examination table and a view which would have been no different if I had been sitting in the foyer, I'm glad I didn't.

Anyway, to the film. Like Crazy is a strange little film. Starring Felicity Jones and Anton Yelchin, the film follows British student Anna (Jones) as she falls in love with American student Jacob (Yelchin) during her time studying in the US. Anna overstays her student visa and, as a result is unable to return to the US and the pair are forced to have a long distance relationship. First off, the performances are universally first-class. Felicity Jones, however, steals the show and I have to say I do have a bit of a soft spot for her...okay...she's amazing. First seen on screen in The Worst Witch (and known to millions of mothers as Emma Grundy in Radio 4's The Archers), Jones is destined to become one of Britain's most promising and dynamic stars. Her talent for simple dialogue delivery, whilst conveying a whole host of emotions is superb and I am sure that, one day, she will make it to the Oscar podium.

There is, however, a problem with the film. Never, ever have I seen a film with a plot which jarred with me to such a great extent. Here we have two characters who seem to fall in and out of love every five minutes, both have other relationships and then decided to marry/separate/get back together as if nothing has happened. The story jumps back and forth between Jacob and Anna, both of whom seem to change their minds about one another more quickly than Lady Gaga changes outfits and no matter how good the performances are (and trust me, they're great), I found it hard to connect with the characters and empathise with their situations. Sure, a long-distance relationship isn't easy and the film tries to address their conflicting emotions and relationships with other people but, in the end, the whole thing seems a bit contrived.

The film was distinctively shot, with jump cuts being the norm. I quite liked this as it gave the film, paradoxically, a more naturalistic feeling. This idea of realism was furthered by the fact that the dialogue in the film was entirely improvised which gave a real sense of naturalistic rhythm to the words and the interactions between the characters. This may put some people off but if you didn't know this prior to seeing it, you'd have never guessed and on an overall level, the effect is charming. The film's ending has caused problems for some but I feel that it does the film a great credit: this isn't idealised romance as seen in so many films of this genre.

Like Crazy is an admirable attempt to go against the trend of romantic films and is shot in a refreshing and energising manner. The improvisation is a treat and totally works within the context of two young lovers trying to work out their personal issues. But it is the plot which, despite having a good premise, ultimately lets the film down and left me shouting at the characters to buck their ideas up. But I don't mind. Like Crazy is the ideal platform to raise Felicity Jones' profile to the level it deserves. She will be a star. Trust me.

Clapperboard Rating: * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment